Summer is a popular time to travel. However, travel plans may be different this year with many opting for road trips, camping or staycations. No matter how you spend your summer, it’s important to brush up on your summer fire safety prevention. ServiceMaster of Germantown compiled the following tips to help you stay fire damage-free all summer long.
Road trips have always been a summer favorite. This year, road trips may offer you an opportunity to get away while maintaining social distancing requirements. Take the following safety tips into consideration before you pack up your car.
- Schedule an appointment to have your car serviced by a mechanic.
- If your car catches fire while driving, pull over, turn your engine off and move as far away from the burning car as possible.
- Don’t forget to pack a few safety supplies like water, jumper cables and a first aid kit.
In addition to following campfire safety protocols, it’s important to set up your campsite correctly to avoid a fire disaster. Use the following tips to help you avoid a fire disaster during your next camping trip.
- Find a level spot for your tent away from the campfire ring.
- Set up your cooking station away from both your tent and your campfire ring.
- If you’re camping in bear country, your tent should be at least 200 feet away from your campfire and your cooking area.
You may be staying close to home this summer. That doesn’t mean you can’t disconnect from responsibilities. Take a much-needed break with a staycation. Implement a safety plan beforehand so you don’t have to worry about a thing. Consider the following:
- Before your staycation, test your fire and smoke alarms.
- Create a fire escape plan and practice with your family or housemates.
- While cooking, never leave your stovetop unattended.
- Create an emergency kit with batteries, a flashlight, food and water.
- Place important documents in an airtight container.
ServiceMaster of Germantown is your local fire and water damage, restoration expert. We hope these tips help you avoid summer fire damage. If you do experience fire damage, contact us at 901-853-3748. Rely on our team of experts to walk you through the entire process, even communicating directly with your insurance provider. We’re available 24/7 for emergency restoration services. Our team also provides extreme cleaning, floor care and more. The sooner you call, the more damage we can prevent.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/wmaster890